Country of origin
First episode date
15 September 2001
Theme music composer
No. of episodes
Jim JinkinsDavid Campbell
Charles ShaughnessyJessica D. StoneDavid LandsbergAri MeyersRene MujicaShawn PyfromHynden WalchPhilece SamplerKhylan JonesCandi MiloWallace Shawn
"My Man Stanley" by Baha Men
Jim Jinkins, David Campbell
Stanley theme song
Stanley is an American animated television series that aired on Playhouse Disney based on the series of children's books written by "Griff" (as indicated on the cover of the original book), also known as Andrew Griffin. It was produced by Cartoon Pizza, and was developed for television by Jim Jinkins (the creator of Doug, PB&J Otter, Allegra's Window, JoJo's Circus and Pinky Dinky Doo) and David Campbell.
- Stanley theme song
- Playhouse disney stanley tv series tv promotion july 2001
- Broadcast history
- United States
- Awards and nominations
- Season 1
- Season 2
- Season 3
- TV specials
Stanley teaches a wide variety of issues preschool children face, including change, growth, rules, and dealing with others. Each episode centers on an animal that deals with or helps explain the issue Stanley is grappling with.
Playhouse disney stanley tv series tv promotion july 2001
Each episode shows Stanley (voiced by Jessica D. Stone) in a situation he does not fully understand. He discusses it with his pet goldfish Dennis (Charles Shaughnessy) before consulting the Great Big Book of Everything, a remarkably complete zoology book aimed at young children or his computer. By observing how an animal copes with the same situation Stanley faces, or how it can overcome a similar difficulty, Stanley learns to deal with the situation himself.
Throughout the show Stanley and all his preschool aged friends are able to talk to his pet cat, Elsie (Hynden Walch) and dog Harry (Rene Mujica) as well as Dennis. Other animals also seem to occasionally respond, but never talk or give a definite indication they truly understood what was said. Stanley and his friends actively try to keep the adults (that is, except Stanley's grandmother), and by extension Stanley's older brother Lionel, from realizing this.
The Great Big Book of Everything appears to be magical in nature, able to either let the animals out of the pages or allow the children to enter, sometimes changing them into animals in the process. This does not appear to be imaginary since occasionally adults do notice the noise, and Stanley works hard to hide the animals. There is also an episode where Stanley's brother sees a T-Rex in the yard, but dismisses the memory when it disappears back into the book.
The Halloween special features Stanley's grandmother who, it is implied, is a witch. She reveals that she too can work the book, and in fact was the one who gave it to Stanley. She was also the one who taught its theme song to Harry and Elsie.
When someone says the "Great Big Book of Everything", hints it out, or even has the book, Elsie and Harry will wake up or find their way into the scene and start singing. This usually annoys Dennis, who after the introductory verse, says something like "Oh not again!".
The episodes, "Growing Pains," "Time for Toolfish," and "Pearls of Wisdom," show Harry, Stanley's pet dog, in a swimsuit.
In the U.S., the series aired on Disney Channel's daytime preschool block Playhouse Disney since its debut, September 15, 2001. When Playhouse Disney rebranded its on-air presentation in 2007, Stanley was put on a new timeslot at 6:00AM ET on the weekends. As of May 2008, Stanley no longer airs on Playhouse Disney, but DVD's and books are still available. In February 2011, the show was completely removed when Playhouse Disney rebranded as Disney Junior. The show was briefly seen online on DisneyJunior.com as part of "fan favorites" week on the week of June 20, 2011, and it cannot be seen on the internet any more. As of March 23, 2012, the series returned on the U.S. airwaves on Disney Junior.
In Canada, it ran on The Family Channel from 2002 to 2007, and then was moved to Disney Junior, which has been running since 2007. It also aired on the Canadian-French version of Disney Junior since 2010.
Awards and nominations
On January 3, 2006, Walt Disney Home Entertainment and Cartoon Pizza released a full-length direct-to-video movie based on Stanley. Entitled Stanley's Dinosaur Round-Up, the film centers on the titular character as he, along with Elsie, Dennis, Harry, Mimi, Lester and Marci, team up to save his Great Uncle Stew (John Ritter, who completed his work for the film before he died)'s dude ranch from the greedy Rockin' Rory (an uncredited Randy Quaid) who intends to buy the ranch and turn it into an amusement park.
1. "Up the Apple Tree / Kangaroo Clean-Up"
2. "Daddy Pride / Show-and-Tell Shark"
3. "Bearly Awake / The Eagle Has Landed"
4. "Watch Out for Lionels / Growing Pains"
5. "Frog Legs / Whoo's Afraid of the Dark?"
6. "Tiger Hunt / Monkey Bar Business"
7. "Camel Commotion / There's Snow Place Like Home"
8. "A Whale of a Song / Sloth for a Day"
10. "Dolphin Talk / Whole Lotta Snakin' Going On"
12. "Savanna-Speeders! / Tyrannosaurus Wrecks"
13. "Hippo Helpers / Where's Stanley?"
14. "Penguin Party / Leave it to Beavers"
15. "The Joker / Baby Pictures"
16. "You've Got Pigeon Mail / It's a Prairie Dog's Life"
17. "Remembering with Elephants / Garbage Can Bandit"
18. "Snow Monkey See, Snow Monkey Do / Sick Day Stanley"
19. "The Big Spill" / Peekaboo Parrot"
20. "Gorilla Sleepover / Sea Lion Slip-Up"
21. "Worms at Work / Caterpillar Countdown"
22. "In a While, Crocodile / The Color of Stanley"
23. "Searching for Spring / Save the Bluebird!"
24. "The Pond Couple / Who's Afraid of Walter Wolf?"
25. "A Little Squirrel Music / A Boy's Best Friend is His Fish"
1. "Ant Picnic / The Tooth About Teeth"
2. "Eel-ectricity / Roller Rhino"
3. "Keep 'Em Flying / Guess What's Coming For Dinner"
5. "Bloodhound Blues / Clock-a-Doodle-Doo!"
6. "Mistaken Mermaid / It Pays to Be a Pelican"
7. "Woodpecker Woes / P.U. Pup"
8. "Mockingbird Scat / Horsepower"
9. "Proud as a Peacock / Dances with Flamingos"
10. "Sunburn Stanley / Time for Toolfish"
11. "Web Weavers / Muddy Buddies"
12. "The Robbing Raven / Flashlight Fireflies"
13. "Mysterious Moe / Spelling Bee Situation"
14. "Follow the Lemur / Zebra Jigsaw"
16. "Double-Duty Dad / Look Who's Helping"
17. "Tasmanian Tantrum / Sea Otter Safety"
18. "Gowing-Away Goose / Time to Climb!"
19. "Stanley's Super Spectacles / The Ugly Griffling"
20. "Doing Like Ducks / Speedy Does It"
21. "X-Ray X-tra! / Under the Umbrella Bird"
22. "I Scream for Ice Cream / Snack Savers"
23. "A Little Nightingale Music / Super Squirrel"
24. "Outfoxing Lionel / Jackrabbit Hide-and-Seek"
25. "Me and My Palfish / At the Zoo!"
1. "To Catch a Hamster / Pearls of Wisdom"
2. "Living with Leopards / A Chinese New Year"
3. "The Way of the Buffalo / Follow That Falcon"
4. "Shell Game / Sheep and a Haircut"
5. "No News Like Shoe News / Ladybug, Ladybug"
6. "Curse of the Angry Coral / A Little Bird Told Me"
1. "Little Dog Lost" (Christmas special)
2. "Grandma Griff's Mystery Guest" (Halloween special)
3. "A Turkey of a Thanksgiving" (Thanksgiving special)
4. "Stanley's Great Big Book of Everything Adventure"