Set in the early 20th century, the film focuses on the Robinson family. Patti (Jane Powell) and Melba (Debbie Reynolds), the daughters, are both accomplished in the performing arts, while the Robinson boys love fireworks and mischief. Mrs. Robinson (Ann Harding) is charming and very wise in the ways of young love. The Robinson family leaves their home in New York City to stay at "Kissimee in the Catskills," a resort hotel in upstate New York, where love strikes both of the Robinson daughters.
Jane Powell as Patti Robinson
Ricardo Montalban as Demi Armendez
Louis Calhern as Horatio Robinson
Ann Harding as Katherine Robinson
Phyllis Kirk as Valerie Stresemann
Carleton Carpenter as Billy Finlay
Debbie Reynolds as Melba Robinson
Clinton Sundberg as Mr. Finlay
Gary Gray as McCormick Robinson
Tommy Rettig as Ricky Robinson
Charles Smith as Eddie Gavin
1. Aba Daba Honeymoon. Music by Walter Donovan, Lyrics by Arthur Fields. Sung by Debbie Reynolds, Carleton Carpenter and others.
2. The Oceana Roll. Music by Lucien Denni, Lyrics by Roger Lewis. Sung by Jane Powell and others.
3. A Heart That's Free. Music by Alfred G. Robyn, Lyrics by Thomas Railey. Sung by Jane Powell during the opening scene.
4. Row, Row, Row. Music by James V. Monaco, Lyrics by William Jerome. Performed on-stage by Debbie Reynolds and Carleton Carpenter.
5. Leichte Kavallerie Overture (uncredited). Music by Franz von Suppé. Played by the band in the park and when Valerie decides not to go on.
6. That's How I Need You (uncredited). Music by Al Piantadosi, Lyrics by Joseph McCarthy and Joe Goodwin. Sung by Debbie Reynolds and the boys while at the player piano.
7. By the Light of the Silvery Moon. Music by Gus Edwards, Lyrics by Edward Madden. Sung by Louis Calhern, Ann Harding, Ricardo Montalban, Phyllis Kirk, Jane Powell and chorus, in the lake scene.
8. My Beautiful Lady (uncredited). Music by Ivan Caryll, Lyrics by C.M.S. McLellan. Sung by the chorus during Patti's dream sequence.
9. My Hero. Music by Oscar Straus, Lyrics by Hugh Stanislaus Stange. Performed by Jane Powell and Ricardo Montalban during Patti's dream sequence.
10. Sobre las olas (uncredited). Music by Juventino Rosas. Played during Eddie's juggling act.
11. Listen to the Mockingbird (uncredited). Music by Richard Milburn, Lyrics by Septimus Winner. Played when Demi is outside Patti's dressing room door.
12. Destiny (uncredited) (Waltz). Music by Sydney Baynes.
13. A media luz (tango) (uncredited). Music by Edgardo Donatto, Lyrics by Carlos Lenzi. Danced by Jane Powell and Ricardo Montalban.
According to M-G-M records, the film made $1,695,000 in the US and Canada and $1,100,000 elsewhere, resulting in a profit of $199,000.
When the 1914 song Aba Daba Honeymoon became a huge hit after the release of this film, M-G-M sent Debbie Reynolds and Carleton Carpenter on a multicity personal appearance tour of Loews theaters to capitalize on its success, beginning in Washington, D.C.
2004: AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs:
"Aba Daba Honeymoon" – Nominated
Eastern Color Movie Love #6 (December 1950)
The film is recognized by American Film Institute in these lists: