Artist Anthony Braxton
Label Sackville Records
|Recorded October 8, 1974|
Producer Bill Smith
Release date 1974
|Studio Thunder Sound in Toronto, Canada|
Trio and Duet (1974) New York, Fall 1974 (1974)
Similar Anthony Braxton albums, Jazz albums
Trio and Duet is an album by American jazz saxophonist Anthony Braxton recorded in 1974 and released on the Canadian Sackville label. The album features a trio performance of one of Braxton's compositions and three duets on jazz standards. It was reissued in 2015 by Delmark Records, which purchased the catalog of the Sackville label, with two bonus tracks.
The Allmusic review by Scott Yanow awarded the album 4 stars stating "This is a well-rounded album that features the remarkable Anthony Braxton in two separate settings. ...Recommended". The album was reissued in 2015 and received many accolades. Troy Collins noted on All About Jazz that "Among the many historically important and innovative recordings Braxton made in the 1970s, Trio and Duet stands out as a major signifier of his all-encompassing, artistic vision". In JazzTimes Michael J. West wrote "Forty years later, 1974’s Trio and Duet remains one of Anthony Braxton’s best albums. If anything, it’s even more compelling today because of its weight in Braxtonian history".
All compositions by Anthony Braxton except where noted.
- "Composition 36: HM 421 (RTS) 47" - 19:13
- "The Song Is You" (Oscar Hammerstein II, Jerome Kern) - 11:49
- "Embraceable You" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) - 5:47
- "You Go to My Head" (J. Fred Coots, Haven Gillespie) - 8:39
bonus tracks (Delmark CD reissue)
- "On Green Dolphin Street" (Bronisław Kaper, Ned Washington) - 11:05
- "I Remember You" (Victor Schertzinger, Johnny Mercer) - 7:58