|Recorded Sept 1982|
Producer Chris D.
|Released October 28, 1982 (1982-10-28)|
Genre Post-punk, jangle pop, psychedelic rock, noise pop, indie rock
Label Ruby Records/Slash (original release) Rhino Records (reissue) Rough Trade Records
The Days of Wine and Roses is the second record and the debut full-length album by American alternative rock band The Dream Syndicate. Produced by Chris D. (of the Flesh Eaters/Divine Horsemen), it was recorded in Los Angeles in September 1982 and released later that year on Chris D.'s Ruby Records, which was a division of Slash Records. It was released for the first time on CD in 1993. 2001 and 2015 reissues on CD featured different bonus tracks.
The phrase "days of wine and roses" is originally from the poem "Vitae Summa Brevis" by the English writer Ernest Dowson (1867–1900):They are not long, the days of wine and roses: Out of a misty dream Our path emerges for a while, then closes Within a dream.
This is the track listing of the original release. Later re-releases have included bonus tracks from the earlier Down There EP, rehearsals, alternate takes, and the 1981 single recorded by 15 Minutes (a Steve Wynn collaboration with members of the Davis, California band Alternate Learning).
All tracks written by Steve Wynn except as noted.
- "Tell Me When It's Over" – 3:27
- "Definitely Clean" – 3:25
- "That's What You Always Say" – 3:08
- "Then She Remembers" – 4:03
- "Halloween" (Karl Precoda) – 6:29
- "When You Smile" – 4:10
- "Until Lately" – 6:50
- "Too Little, Too Late" – 3:17
- "The Days of Wine and Roses" – 7:22
- "Sure Thing" (Down There EP version)
- "That's What You Always Say" (Down There EP version)
- "When You Smile" (Down There EP version)
- "Some Kinda Itch" (Down There EP version)
- "Too Little, Too Late" (Rehearsal version)
- "Definitely Clean" (Rehearsal version)
- "That's What You Always Say" (15 Minutes)
- "Last Chance For You" (15 Minutes)
- "Is It Rolling, Bob?" (rehearsal recording)
- "A Reason" (rehearsal recording)
- "Still Holding on to You" (rehearsal recording)
- "Armed with an Empty Gun" (rehearsal recording)
- "Like Mary" (rehearsal recording)
- "Outside the Dream Syndicate" (rehearsal recording)