Justice S. B. Sinha was born on August 8, 1944 at Dhanbad in the state of Jharkhand, India. He Passed his matriculation examination from H.E. School, Dhanbad and received his Bachelor of Laws (B.L) Degree from Chota Nagpur Law College in 1967. Justice Joined the Dhanbad District Court in 1968 after which he shifted his practice to Ranchi upon constitution of the Permanent Bench of the Patna High Court in 1976.
He was designated as Senior Advocate by the Patna High Court. Subsequently, he was appointed as the first Government Advocate of the Ranchi Bench of the Patna High Court and was elevated to the Bench of Patna High Court on March 9, 1987. He was transferred to the Calcutta High Court on May 11, 1994. He has served as the Chief Justice of the High Courts of Calcutta, Andhra Pradesh and Delhi.
He was elevated as a Judge of the Supreme Court of India on October 3, 2002 and retired on August 8, 2009.
As a Judge of the Supreme Court of India Justice S. B. Sinha delivered several landmark judgments including, inter alia:
1. Zee Telefilms v. Union of India (dissenting) AIR 2005 SC 2677
2. Action Committee, Un-Aided Pvt. Schools v. Director of Education, Delhi MANU/SC/1458/2009
3. Swami Shraddhananda v. State of Maharashtra (Appeal (Crl.) 454 of 2006) (Judgment date: 8/5/2007).
4. Santosh Bariyar v. State of Maharashtra (Appeal (Crl.) 1478 of 2005) (Judgment date: 13/5/2007).
5. Anuj Garg v. Hotel Association of India (Appeal (Civ.) 5657 of 2007) (Judgment date: 6/12/2007).
A Workoholic, throughout his tenure he remained a dedicated and highly respected Judge of the Court.
On 3 November 2009, after retirement from the Supreme Court, Justice S. B. Sinha was appointed as the Chairman of the Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) succeeding Justice Arun Kumar who retired in September, 2009. His son Mr. Indrajit Sinha is practising at Jharkhand High Court at present.
Source <Jharkhand High Court enrolment list>