Supriya Ghosh

Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma

Updated on
Share on FacebookTweet on TwitterShare on LinkedIn
Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma

Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma, abbreviated ca ex PA, is a type of cancer typically found in the parotid gland. It arises from the benign tumour pleomorphic adenoma.

Contents

Its prognosis depends on the stage. Early tumour have essentially a benign behaviour.

Signs and symptoms

The signs and symptoms are similar to other malignant salivary gland tumours; however, it may have been preceded by an appreciable mass that was long-standing and did not appear to be growing.

Findings that suggest a malignant salivary gland tumour include rapid growth, facial weakness (due to facial nerve compression), pain, skin ulceration, fixation of the mastoid tip and parasthesias.

Diagnosis

Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma is diagnosed by examining it under the microscope with consideration of the individual history.

In approximately 75% of cases ca ex PAs arise in a pleomorphic adenoma that is apparent when the tumour is excised. In the other approximately 25% of cases the individual had a pleomorphic adenoma excised previously and the diagnosis is made based on (1) the presence of a carcinoma, and (2) the history of a pleomorphic adenoma at that location.

References

Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma Wikipedia


Similar Topics
Nauman Ali
Peter Sterling
Sui Wenjing
Topics