Kalpana Kalpana

Arabs in the Netherlands

Updated on
Share on FacebookTweet on TwitterShare on LinkedIn
Iraqis  55,000
Syrians  10,261
Algerians  7,733
Egyptians  23,000
Tunisians  8,558
Moroccans  60,000 (The Dutch Moroccan community counts an estimated 350.000 souls. But only 15% of them are of Arab origin. The remaining 85% are of Berber -mainly Riffian- origin).

Arab Dutch (Arabische Nederlanders), also referred to as Dutch Arabs (Nederlandse Arabieren), are citizens or residents of the Netherlands whose ancestry traces back to the Arab World. Many of them might not actually be ethnically Arab due to the general confusion between the meaning of Arab and other ethnic groups coming from the same area (such as the case of Kurds, Berbers, Turkmen, Assyrians, Roma, etc.); therefore, the exact number of the actual Arab population in the Netherlands may be greatly biased and incorrect.

Contents

Politics

In 2001, two Arab immigrants to the Netherlands, Egyptian-born Farouk Ibrahim (58) and Moroccan-born Mustafa Aboustib, set up the Arab Democratic Party (Arabische Democratische Partij), complaining that Arabs were not well represented in mainstream political parties except as "pretty Arab faces". In 2007, a group of Arab Dutch have complained about the television network Al Jazeera's effective monopoly on Arabic broadcasting in the country.

Notable people

  • Khadija Arib, politician
  • Maryam Hassouni, actress
  • La├»la Abid, journalist
  • Ali B, rapper
  • Badr Hari, super heavyweight kickboxer
  • R3hab, DJ and electronic musician
  • Ramses Shaffy, singer
  • Hany Abu-Assad, film director
  • Arjan El Fassed, politician
  • Ramsey Nasr, writer
  • Kim Ghattas, journalist
  • Karim Rekik, footballer
  • Ismail, video game developer and part of Vlambeer
  • Mohamed Al-Daradji, film director.
  • Osama Rashid, footballer
  • Hesdy Gerges, heavyweight kickboxer
  • Imaan Hammam, fashion model
  • Yes-R, Dutch rapper
  • Amir Zeyada, kickboxer
  • Youssef Idilbi, Dutch actor
  • Marwan Kenzari, actor
  • Mourad Bouzidi, kickboxer
  • Karim Bridji, footballer
  • Rania Zeriri, singer
  • Rodaan Al Galidi, writer
  • Mariwan Kanie, writer
  • References

    Arabs in the Netherlands Wikipedia


    Similar Topics
    Escape from Fort Bravo
    S Bear Bergman
    Sviatlana Pirazhenka
    Topics