Samiksha Jaiswal (Editor)

Unilever Bangladesh Limited

Updated on
Share on FacebookTweet on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on Reddit
Covid-19
Headquarters  Dhaka, Bangladesh
Parent organizations  Unilever, Unilever plc
Founded  1964
Unilever Bangladesh Limited wwwassignmentpointcomwpcontentuploads201603

The Unilever Bangladesh Limited is consumer goods company, engaged in the manufacture and distribution of home care products, personal care products, and foods. It is a Joint Venture of the Government of Bangladesh and Unilever. Unilever holds 60.4 per cent and Government of Bangladesh holds 39.6 of the share.

Contents

Overview

Unilever Bangladesh is the Bangladesh chapter of multinational consumer product manufacturing giant Unilever, where the company holds 60.75% share whereas the Government of Peoples Republic of Bangladesh holds 39.25% share. Unilever is operating in over hundred countries all around the globe. Unilever Bangladesh has a soap manufacturing and personal products factory in Kalurghat, Chittagong. It has a tea packaging operation in Bayazid, Chittagong and three manufacturing units in Dhaka. These units are owned and run by third parties. Unilever Bangladesh provides employment to over 10,000 people directly and indirectly through the suppliers, distributors and service providers. 99.8% of its employees are locals with a large number of local UBL employees now working abroad in other Unilever companies as expatriates.

History

The company has been producing household since the 19th century under the name Lever Brothers India limited throughout the undivided India. Its flagship product was the Sunlight soap which was marketed throughout the undivided India. After the partition of India, Lever Brothers Pakistan limited started its operation in East Pakistan (present-day Bangladesh) on a larger scale. In 1964, a new soap manufacturing facility was set up in Kalurghat, Chittagong. The production of the company started with Sunlight soap and Lifebuoy soap. With time the company diversified into manufacturing other personal products like skin care creams, shampoos, toothpastes, and detergent powders. In 1971, after the Liberation War of Bangladesh, when Bangladesh became independent, Lever Brothers Bangladesh Limited. was constituted with Unilever owning 60.75% shares and the Government of Bangladesh owning the remaining 39.25% of shares. In December 2004 the company changed its identity to Unilever Bangladesh to align their corporate identity with global Unilever.

References

Unilever Bangladesh Limited Wikipedia


Topics
 
B
i
Link
H2
L