Release date 1989
|Recorded January, 1989|
Artist Art Ensemble of Chicago
Label DIW Records
|Producer Art Ensemble of Chicago|
The Alternate Express (1989) Art Ensemble of Soweto (1990)
Similar Art Ensemble of Chicago albums, Jazz albums
The Alternate Express is a 1989 album by the Art Ensemble of Chicago released on the Japanese DIW label. It features performances by Lester Bowie, Joseph Jarman, Roscoe Mitchell, Malachi Favors Maghostut and Don Moye.
The Allmusic review by Brian Olewnick describes the album as "only occasionally rising to the level of excitement and inspiration evinced on recordings from the late '60s and early '70s".
- "Whatever Happens" (Bowie) - 9:59
- "And There Was Peace" (Mitchell) - 5:28
- "Imaginary Situations" (Art Ensemble of Chicago) - 9:28
- "Kush" (Favors, Moye) - 21:40
- "The Alternate Express" (Mitchell) - 4:25
2And There Was Peace5:31