Sunil was born in Kolkata in an Indian Hindu Marwari family on 4 May 1965. He is the son of Hari Prasad Kanoria and Champa Devi Kanoria. He is the third among five children. He has two older brothers, Hemant Kanoria and Sanjeev Kanoria, one younger brother Sujit Kanoria, and a sister Manisha Kanoria Lohia. Sunil is married to Sunita Kanoria and has two children, Anant Raj Kanoria and Avani Shree Kanoria.
Sunil co-founded Srei Infrastructure Finance Ltd. which started its operations in 1989 along with his brother Hemant Kanoria. Since then, it has gone on to emerge as India's number one infrastructure equipment finance company with over 30% market share over the years, as per MyDigitalFC. He was also cited in an Economic Times report as being instrumental in bringing over USD 5 billion of consolidated assets under the company's management.
His other ventures include Quippo, which was launched in 2002 as an equipment rental business. He also formed a joint venture with Tata Teleservices in 2009 to form Viom Networks, a telecom tower company. In 2016, Srei’s stake in Viom Networks was acquired by American Tower Corporation.
Sunil’s career highlights include membership to the group involved in the development of the 10th Five Year Plan (2002–07) of the Planning Commission, Government of India.
Sunil has held several important positions during his career.
Currently, he is serving as the Honorary Consul of Spain in Kolkata. His other present-day professional commitments include:
· Nominated membership to the Council of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
· Independent Non-Executive Director at Upper Ganges Sugar & Industries Ltd since August 2014
· External Independent Director at Grupo Empresarial San Jose, S.A., since December 17, 2015
In the past, he has been connected with the following associations:
· The Associated Chambers of Commerce & Industry of India (ASSOCHAM)
· Hire Purchase & Lease Association, Kolkata (HPLA)
· Merchants’ Chamber of Commerce, Kolkata (MCC)
· Federation of Indian Hire Purchase Association (FIHPA)