|Music Jon and Al Kaplan|
Book Hunter Bell
Playwright Hunter Bell
Composers Al Kaplan, Jon Kaplan
|Lyrics Jon and Al Kaplan|
First performance 12 August 2005
Lyricists Al Kaplan, Jon Kaplan
|Basis Original Screenplay "Silence! The Musical" by Jon and Al Kaplan, based on The Silence of the Lambs|
Productions 2005 Off-Off-Broadway 2009 London Fringe 2011 Off-Broadway 2012 Los Angeles 2016 Chicago 2017 San Francisco
Awards 2005 New York Fringe Festival Outstanding Musical Award 2011 Time Magazine's Top 10 Plays and Musicals 2012 Off Broadway Alliance Award - Best Musical 2012 Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle - Score, Lead Performance, Choreography
Characters Hannibal Lecter, Clarice Starling, Buffalo Bill, Frederick Chilton, Jack Crawford, Ardelia Mapp, Catherine Martin
Similar [title of show], Now Here This, Found, Black Angels Over Tus, Perfect Crime
Silence the musical the off broadway smash
Silence! The Musical is an award-winning 2005 musical created by Jon and Al Kaplan as a parody of the 1991 Academy Award-winning film The Silence of the Lambs.
- Silence the musical the off broadway smash
- Silence the musical tv trailer
- Musical numbers
- Cast recording
Silence the musical tv trailer
- "Silence!" – The Lambs
- "Thish Ish It" – Clarice, Crawford, and Ensemble
- "The Right Guide" – Chilton, Clarice, and Ensemble
- "If I Could Smell Her Cunt" – Dr. Lecter
- "Papa Shtarling" – Papa Starling and Clarice
- "It's Agent Shtarling" – Clarice
- "Are You About a Size 14?" – Buffalo Bill, Catherine, and Ensemble
- "My Daughter Is Catherine" – Senator Martin
- "Quid Pro Quo" – Dr. Lecter and Clarice
- "I'd Fuck Me" – Bill and Ensemble
- "It's Me!" – Dr. Lecter and Ensemble
- "Catherine Dies Today" – Ardelia, Clarice, Bill, and Ensemble
- "Papa Shtarling" (Reprise) – Papa Starling and Clarice
- "Put the Fucking Lotion in the Basket" – Bill and Catherine
- "We're Going In!" – Starling, Bill, and Ensemble
- "Bill's Death (In the Dark with a Maniac)" – Starling, Bill, Catherine, and Ensemble
- "Silence" (Reprise/Finale) – Clarice, Dr. Lecter, Crawford, and The Lambs
The project began in 2003 as an internet musical made up of nine songs that retold the entire story. The audio tracks became popular to the extent that a live show was conceived and staged. Six additional songs were written by the Kaplans, and the book was written by Hunter Bell, based on the original screenplay Silence! The Musical, also by the Kaplans.
The stage musical premiered in the Lucille Lortel Theatre, New York, on August 12, 2005 as part of the New York International Fringe Festival, and showed until 28 August 2005. The production was directed by Christopher Gattelli.
Silence! had its European premiere in London on October 19, 2009, showing for two weeks at the Barons Court Theatre. The run was directed by David Phipps-Davis. Christopher Gattelli's production subsequently transferred to the Above The Stag Theatre, running from 19 January - 28 February 2010. Directed and choreographed by Gattelli, this production featured new material written for its London outing.
An off-Broadway mounting of the show opened June 24-September 26, 2011 at Theatre 80, directed and choreographed by Christopher Gattelli. It transferred to the 9th Space Theatre at PS 122 on October 24, 2011.
The musical reopened on January 18, 2013 at the Elektra Theatre, in New York City's Times Square, through August 13.
Jobsite Theater in Tampa, FL, presented the southeastern US premiere of the show in the Jaeb Theater at the Straz Center for the Performing Arts Oct. 14 - Nov. 15, 2015.
Corn Productions presented the Chicago premiere at the Cornservatory July 8 - Aug. 13, 2016.
Cloud 9 Theatricals, in association with Lang Entertainment Group and Ray of Light Theater presented the San Francisco premiere at the Victoria Theater January 26 - April 1 2017.
The original NY cast included Brent Barrett as Hannibal Lecter, Jenn Harris as Clarice, Stephen Bienskie as Buffalo Bill, Deidre Goodwin as Ardelia Mapp, Jeff Hiller, Howard Kaye as Papa Starling, Lucia Spina in a dual role as both Senator and Catherine Martin, Callan Bergmann as Jack Crawford, Harry Bouvy, and Ashlee Dupré.
Silence! played 67 performances at the Hayworth Theatre in Los Angeles in late 2012. Christine Lakin and Davis Gaines headlined the cast.
A soundtrack album featuring the original nine tracks was made available "For fun only. Not for sale."
1Silence of the Lambs
2If I Could Smell Her Cunt
3Are You About a Size 14?