| January 1963 (1963-01)|
Blue Note Records
| September 19 and October 12, 1962|
Van Gelder Studio
Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey
Let Freedom Ring, Our Man in Paris, A New Perspective, Fuchsia Swing Song, Point of Departure
Portrait of Sheila is the 1963 debut album of American jazz singer Sheila Jordan, released by Blue Note Records. In the 1963 Down Beat magazine Critics Poll, she was ranked first in the vocal category for "Talent Deserving Wider Recognition". She did not record again as a leader for more than a dozen years.
According to the sleeve notes (written by Nat Hentoff), Alfred Lion of Blue Note decided to record Jordan after hearing her sing at the Page Three Club in Greenwich Village, New York, even though the label "had as a policy not recorded jazz vocalists before".
Track 4, "Dat Dere", showcases Jordan's predilection for performing voice and bass duets. According to biographer Ellen Johnson, Jordan originally wanted to devote Portrait of Sheila entirely to bass and voice, but the idea was turned down by Blue Note.
The Penguin Guide to Jazz selected the album as part of its "Core Collection" and gave it a rating of four stars (of a possible four). Allmusic gave the album a rating of five stars (of a possible five).
Sheila Jordan – voice
Barry Galbraith – guitar
Steve Swallow – bass
Denzil Best – drums
- "Falling in Love with Love" (Rodgers, Hart) – 2:31
- "If You Could See Me Now" (Dameron, Sigman) – 4:32
- "Am I Blue" (Clarke, Akst) – 4:12
- "Dat Dere" (Timmons) – 2:43
- "When the World Was Young" (M. Philippe-Gérard, Mercer) – 4:43
- "Let's Face the Music and Dance" (Berlin) – 1:14
- "Laugh, Clown, Laugh" (Lewis, Young, Ted Fiorito) – 3:11
- "Who Can I Turn To?" (Wilder, Engvick) – 3:21
- "Baltimore Oriole" (Carmichael, Webster) – 2:34
- "I'm a Fool to Want You" (Jack Wolf, Joel Herron, Sinatra) – 4:55
- "Hum Drum Blues" (Brown Jr.) – 2:15
- "Willow Weep for Me" (Ronell) – 3:28
"Dat Dere" features Jordan and Swallow alone.
1Falling in Love With Love2:31Portrait of Sheila Wikipedia
2If You Could See Me Now4:33
3Am I Blue4:12