|Other names The Barbarian|
Fighting out of Texas, USA
Wins by knockout 1
Team Brazilian Top Team
|Height 5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
Role Mixed martial artist
Name Marcello Salazar
|Born Marcello Salazar M. Bergo March 27, 1979 (age 36)Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (1979-03-27) |
Weight 185 lb (84 kg; 13.2 st)
Marcello salazar vs alex cook
Marcello Salazar M. Bergo (born March 27, 1981 in Rio de Janeiro) is a Brazilian mixed martial artist. He is a member of the Brazilian Top Team, and is currently a full-time instructor at Brazilian Top Team-Jacksonville in Jacksonville, Florida.
- Marcello salazar vs alex cook
- Fabio prado e marcello salazar bergo
- Mixed martial arts career
- Sport accomplishments
- Personal life
Fabio prado e marcello salazar bergo
Marcello Salazar Bergo was born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on March 27, 1981 to Silvia Helena Mousinho, of Portuguese ancestry and Victor Salazar Bergo, of Italian ancestry.
At the age of 8, Marcello learned Brazilian Jiu Jitsu from Coach Juarez Soares, a methodological specialist in training children. In 2004, Marcello Salazar received his black belt at the age of 24 from Brazilian Top Team founders and head coach Murilo Bustamante and Mario Sperry who received their black belts from the legendary Carlson Gracie.
After conquering various national and international titles in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and over 300 submission grappling and wrestling matches to his credit, Marcello made the decision to undertake and compete in MMA. His professional MMA record currently stands at 8 wins and only 1 loss, and avenged that loss in a rematch.
For fun and entertainment he surfs with friends; enjoys playing chess with members of his family, traveling with his wife and daughter, and reading political science articles and books in his spare time.
Mixed martial arts career
In his second to last fight he avenged his only professional loss after defeating Alex Cook at the IFL World Grand Prix Finals. The fight went all 3, 4 minute rounds ending in a Unanimous Decision in favor of Salazar. Marcello dominated the entire fight with relentless takedowns and GnP, but was unable to finish.
Marcello has dedicated himself to and represented the Brazilian Top Team with major international success. Marcello has won the Brazilian and Rio de Janeiro State Championships of Jiu Jitsu, the European Submission Wrestling Championship, and—three times—the Brazilian Circuit Championship of Submission Wrestling. He represented Brazil on their Olympic Free Style and Greco Roman Wrestling Teams. Three times he was the Brazilian National Champion of Greco Roman Wrestling; four times the Free Style Wrestling Champion. And in the US, he has won the American Nationals NO-GI in 2008, and took 3rd in the [BJJ World Championships] in 2008. He was undefeated in MMA as an Amateur, and, as a Professional Fighter, he has lost only once— and avenged that loss in a rematch.
He has also competed in an 8 man tournament where he finished all three of his fights by submission in the first round to win the tournament. The event was held on September 23, 2006 in Foz do Iguacu, Brazil, under the International Challenge Championship (ICC) banner.
(Marcello often competes at 82 & 88 kg)
BJJ and Grappling
1. ADCC (Abu Dhabi Combat Club) 2. FILA (Fédération Internationale des Luttes Associées) 3. IBJJF (International Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Federation) 4. USBJJF (United States Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Federation) 5. NAGA (North American Grappling Associations) 6. FFG (Fédération Françoise de Grappling) 7. SETE/RJ (Secretaria Estadual de Turismo e Esporte do Rio de Janeiro) 8. CBJJ (Confederação Brasileira de Jiu Jitsu) 9. FJJ/RJ (Federação de Jiu Jitsu do Rio de Janeiro)
1. LWERJ (Liga de Wrestling do Estado do Rio de Janeiro) 2. COB (Comitê Olímpico Brasileiro) 3. CBLA (Confederação Brasileira de lutas Associadas) 4. FLOAERJ (Federação de Lutas Olímpicas e Associadas do Estado do Rio de Janeiro)
MMA (Mixed Martial Arts)
1. IFL (International Fight League) 2. ICC (International Challenge Championship)
Marcello has an older brother and a twin sister. Marcello Salazar married Larissa Weber Gruenzner. In 2008, their daughter, Katarina Gruenzner Bergo, was born in Portland, Oregon (USA). In 2007, Marcello Salazar earned a Bachelor's Degree in History from UGF University, Rio de Janeiro.