21 July 1967
| 8.2/10 |
1 September 1967
| Ricky Nelson
Performed by Harpers Bizarre
American Broadcasting Company
Ricky Nelson, Erin Gray, Robie Porter
He's the Mayor, The $198 Beauty Show, Paul Dixon Show, The Young Marrieds, Never Too Young
Malibu U was an American variety show that aired in the summer of 1967 on ABC. The series starred Ricky Nelson.
Malibu U Wikipedia
In the series, Nelson starred as the dean of a fictional college called "Malibu U," where the biggest popular music stars of the 1960s performed once a week. The show was a summer replacement program that lasted for only seven episodes, going off the air on September 1, 1967. Today it is perhaps best known for airing Leonard Nimoy's performance of the novelty song "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins."
In addition to Nelson, series regulars included Robie Porter, Patricia Wymer, and the Bob Banas Dancers (including Erin Gray, who was billed as a "Malibeauty Dancer" in the series). Gray would later go on to success in portraying Colonel Wilma Deering in the Sci-Fi television series Buck Rogers in the 25th Century and Kate Summers in the sitcom Silver Spoons. Both of her series would air on NBC.
- July 21: guest stars Frankie Valli, Don Ho, Annette Funicello
- July 28: guest stars Leonard Nimoy, Buffalo Springfield, Engelbert Humperdinck, Bobby Rydell, Mrs. Miller
- August 4: guest stars James Darren, Harper's Bizarre, Frankie Randall, The Happenings
- August 11: guest stars The Turtles, Lou Rawls, Lesley Gore, Don and the Goodtimes
- August 18: guest stars John Astin, The 5th Dimension, The Sunshine Company, Roger Williams
- August 25: guest stars The Doors, Marvin Gaye, Chad & Jeremy, Lou Christie
- September 1: guest stars Dionne Warwick, The Breed, Peter and Gordon, Sandy Posey