Tripti Joshi (Editor)

Kevin Patrick Yeary

Updated on
Share on FacebookTweet on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on Reddit
Covid-19
Preceded by  Paul Womack
Parents  Joyce Ann Yeary
Name  Kevin Yeary

Religion  Roman Catholic
Children  Four daughters
Political party  Republican Party

Born  September 8, 1966 (age 49) Cotulla, La Salle County, Texas, USA Reared in Laredo, Webb County (1966-09-08)
Spouse(s)  Mary Suzanne "Suzy" Basey-Yeary
Residence  San Antonio Bexar County, Texas
Alma mater  Saint Augustine High School (Laredo, Texas) St. Mary's University (Texas) St. Mary's University School of Law
Education  St. Mary's University School of Law, Saint Augustine High School

Kevin patrick yeary for texas court of ctriminal appeals position 4


Kevin Patrick Yeary (born September 8, 1966) is an American judge of the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, a nine-member body which serves as the court of last resort in state criminal cases. Yeary was elected to a six-year term in 2014 to succeed the retiring Judge Paul Womack.

Contents

Background

Yeary was born in Cotulla in La Salle County, Texas, but reared in Laredo in Webb County in South Texas. He graduated in 1984 from the Roman Catholic Saint Augustine High School in Laredo. His paternal grandfather, Harold R. Yeary (1908-1969), is the namesake for the library at Laredo Community College. Both Harold Yeary and Yeary's younger son, Amber Milton Yeary (born 1938), served as president of the Texas School Boards Association. Kevin Yeary's father is Harold R. Yeary, II (born 1935), a former dentist in Laredo.

Yeary obtained bachelor’s degree in Communication Arts from St. Mary's University in San Antonio. In 1991, he completed his legal studies at St. Mary's University School of Law.

In 1997, Yeary married the former Mary Susanne "Suzie" Basey (born 1969), a pediatrician in San Antonio. Together the couple has four daughters. Yeary is affiliated with Kappa Sigma fraternity and the Phi Alpha Delta law fraternity. He is a member of the Roman Catholic men's organization, the Knights of Columbus and the Catholic Lawyers Guild. He is a former board member of the Encino Park swim team.

Legal career

For a year after law school, Yeary was the briefing attorney for the late Texas Judge Bill M. White. Having practiced law since 1991, he is licensed by all Texas courts and most of the regional federal courts. He has argued cases before both the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals and the Texas Supreme Court, a civil body. He has authored appeal briefs in various cases, including those with the death penalty. He has experience with applications for the writ of habeas corpus. Since 1998 until he joined the Court of Criminal Appeals, Yeary was an assistant district attorney for Bexar County. Earlier, he was an assistant DA in Harris and Dallas counties. From 2000 to 2008, he was an adjunct professor at San Antonio College.

Yeary faced two opponents for his party's nomination to the Court of Appeals in the primary election held on March 4, 2014. Yeary polled 600,220 votes (54.7 percent). Davis trailed with 307,124 (28 percent), and Wood received the remaining 190,910 votes (17.4 percent).

In the November 4 general election, with no Democratic opponent, Yeary polled 2,876,256 votes (76.2 percent); Quanah Parker and Judith Sanders-Castro (born 1949) of San Antonio, the nominees of the Libertarian and Green parties, respectively, held the remaining 23.8 percent of the ballots cast. Elected to the Court of Criminal Appeals with Yeary were Bert Richardson of San Antonio and David Newell of Houston. Yeary's term extends through 2020.

References

Kevin Patrick Yeary Wikipedia


Similar Topics
Passport to Paris
Jeri Muoio
Tony Romano (ice hockey)
Topics
 
B
i
Link
H2
L