Supriya Ghosh (Editor)

Hemoglobin, alpha 1

Updated on
Share on FacebookTweet on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on Reddit
Species  Human
Entrez  3039
Human  Mouse
Ensembl  ENSG00000206172
Hemoglobin, alpha 1

Aliases  HBA1, HBA-T3, HBH, hemoglobin subunit alpha 1
External IDs  MGI: 96016 HomoloGene: 469 GeneCards: HBA1

Hemoglobin, alpha 1, also known as HBA1, is a hemoglobin protein that in humans is encoded by the HBA1 gene.



The human alpha globin gene cluster located on chromosome 16 spans about 30 kb and includes seven loci: 5'- zeta - pseudozeta - mu - pseudoalpha-1 - alpha-2 - alpha-1 - theta - 3'. The alpha-2 (HBA2) and alpha-1 (HBA1; this gene) coding sequences are identical. These genes differ slightly over the 5' untranslated regions and the introns, but they differ significantly over the 3' untranslated regions.


Two alpha chains plus two beta chains constitute HbA, which in normal adult life comprises about 97% of the total hemoglobin; alpha chains combine with delta chains to constitute HbA-2, which with HbF (fetal hemoglobin) makes up the remaining 3% of adult hemoglobin.

Clinical significance

Alpha thalassemias result from deletions of each of the alpha genes as well as deletions of both HBA2 and HBA1; some nondeletion alpha thalassemias have also been reported.


Hemoglobin, alpha 1 has been shown to interact with HBB.


Hemoglobin, alpha 1 Wikipedia