| 15 March 1999|
15 March 1999
| April 1998|
| Open the Window, Close the Door – Live in Japan
Thunder albums, Hard rock albums
Giving the Game Away is the fifth studio album by English Rock band Thunder. It was released in 1999 (to mark the band's 10th anniversary) on the Eagle Records label, three years after their previous album "The Thrill of It All, although the recording sessions for it had been completed almost a year earlier. The album was the first to feature new bassist Chris Childs, who had joined the line up prior to the tour to support "The Thrill of It All" in 1996 - it would also turn out to be their final release prior to their (albeit temporary) breakup in April 2000. The change in musical direction on the album (featuring a much greater use of acoustic guitars & keyboards than their earlier material) met with mixed reviews from critics, with the Allmusic review of the album labelling it "unexpectedly mellow" and this may well have contributed to it failing to repeat the commercial success of its predecessors (it failed to make the top 40 of the UK Albums Chart, stalling at number 49). The two singles released from the album also met with mixed fortunes on the U.K charts - their cover of the Wild Cherry song Play That Funky Music gave the band their 16th Top 40 hit (reaching number 39 in June 1998), but the follow up "You Wanna Know (Just Another Suicide)" was only able to reach number 49 (the same position as the album itself) on release in March 1999.
The album was reissued by Eagle Records as a 2-CD '10th Anniversary Edition' in 2009, with a bonus disc containing 3 extra tracks - the radio edit of "You Wanna Know" and 2 live tracks.
All songs written by Luke Morley, except where noted:
Bonus Tracks on Japanese edition only
- "Just Another Suicide (You Wanna Know)" (Morley, James) - 4:08
- "All I Ever Wanted" - 4:17
- "Giving the Game Away" - 5:03
- "You'll Still Need a Friend" - 4:29
- "Rolling the Dice" - 4:56
- "Numb" - 5:18
- "Play That Funky Music" (Rob Parissi) - 3:47
- "'Til It Shines" - 4:52
- "Time to Get Tough" - 3:50
- "It's Another Day" - 4:41
- "It Could Be Tonight" (Morley, James, Taylor) - 5:20
- "The Only One"* (Morley, James)
- "Just Another Suicide (You Wanna Know)"
- "All I Ever Wanted"
- "Giving The Game Away"
- "You'll Still Need a Friend"
- "Rolling the Dice"
- "Play That Funky Music (Rob Parissi)
- "'Til It Shines"
- "Time to Get Tough"
- "It's Another Day"
- "It Could Be Tonight"
Harry James - drums, percussion
Chris Childs - bass guitar
Luke Morley - guitars, backing vocals, producer
Ben Matthews - guitars, keyboards
Danny Bowes - lead vocals
- "You Wanna Know" (Radio Edit)
- "With a Little Help from My Friends" (Live) (John Lennon/Paul McCartney)
- "She's So Fine" (Live)
1Just Another Suicide4:08Giving the Game Away Wikipedia
2All I Ever Wanted4:18
3Giving the Game Away5:03