Education Cairo University
|Name Essam Khalil|
Alma mater Cairo University
|Born Essam Eldin Khalil Hassan Khalil
12 July 1948
Scotland, United Kingdom (1948-07-12) |
Fields Thermal Power, Combustion, Environmental Engineering and Heat Transfer
Notable awards National Award for Scientific Achievement in Engineering Sciences in (1981). **Order of Sciences and Arts (Egypt) from Egyptian President, 1st order, 1981 **Best Paper Award, AIAA, IECEC, August 2005 **ASME 2012 James Harry Potter Gold Medal 2012
Books Modelling of furnaces and combustors
Prof dr essam e khalil
Essam Eldin Khalil Hassan Khalil is an Egyptian Mechanical Engineer. Khalil is a professor in the mechanical power department at Cairo University. He is the author and co-author of several international researches in HVAC field. He has many years of experience in delivering courses in air-conditioning to University, college students, to building managers and maintenance staff in both the industrial and commercial sectors in Egypt, the Arabian countries and worldwide. He has been selected by various universities and international organisations to lecture to graduate and post graduate level engineers, managers, supervisors and operating personnel on the subjects of HVAC design and optimisation, HVAC system management, energy utilization, waste heat recovery, plant management and other related subjects.
- Prof dr essam e khalil
- Academic accomplishments
- Design consultancy
- Awards and honors
- Books published in the field of Mechanical Engineering
Khalil is ASME, AIAA and ASHRAE active fellow and is an ASHRAE distinguished lecturer on two topics; Ventilation of tombs of valley of kings and design of air conditioning systems for surgical operating theatres. The tombs include King Tutankh Amen, Ramses VII, Amhotep, Horemoheb, Ramses IV,V as well as Bay. It also includes the design of Air conditioning of the Hanging Church of Christ in Cairo.
Khalil is also the chairman of National HVAC Committee in Egypt, member of the National Energy Code Committee of Egypt and the chair of HVAC sub-group. He is a registered HVAC consultant and the president of the Arab Air Conditioning Code Committee. Khalil is the Convenor of ISO TC205 WG2 (Design of Energy Efficient Buildings) and is an active member of ISO TC163 Committee. He is the Chairman of Consulting Engineering Bureau, CEB.
Khalil achieved his M.Sc. Degree in Mechanical Engineering from Cairo University in December 1973. In February 1977 he was able to achieve his Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering at London University, Imperial College of Science and Technology, UK. In 1977, the same year he achieved his Ph.D., Khalil acquired a Diploma of Imperial College at London University and a Postdoctoral Fellowship at Imperial College, London with the Support of Harwell Atomic Energy Research Establishment, United Kingdom. Khalil has published more than 700 papers on mechanical engineering.
Khalil is a productive contributors to the research in the fields of Combustion, Thermal Power and Heat Transfer. In addition to eight books, he has had more than 360 papers published some in journals and some papers discussed in symposiums.
Khalil is a registered consultant who had contributions in major projects including ventilation of the tombs of the valley of kings, theatres and Cinema of Egypt, the Parliament of Egypt, studios, more than 64 big Hospitals, 15 luxurious hotels, more than 14 different buildings, fire fighting & detection design, hot water system, Laundry system, Kitchen system, Electric power supply works, light current and sound systems in factories, institutes and other various contributions.
Awards and honors
Khalil achieved a number of awards and honors including:
Books published in the field of Mechanical Engineering
- FLOW, MIXING & HEAT TRANSFER IN FURNACES (WITH K.H. KHALIL & F. M. ELMAHALLAWY) H.M.T. SERIES-VOLUMES 2, PERGAMON PRESS. JUNE-1978.
- HEAT & FLUID IN POWER SYSTEM COMPONENTS (WITH A.M. RESK & M. M.KAMEL)
- H.M.T. SERIES VOLUME 3, PERGAMON PRESS. NOVEMBER- 1979.
- MODELING OF FURNACES & COMBUSTORS. ABACUS PRESS, 1ST ED 1983.
- LASER TECHNOLOGY, GEBO, Egypt,1987 (In Arabic)
- POWER PLANT DESIGN. ABACUS PRESS, GORDON & BREECH 1990.
- ENERGY FUTURE, ACADEMIC BOOKSHOP PUBLISHERS, 1999 (In Arabic)
- WATER DESALINATION, ACADEMIC BOOKSHOP PUBLISHERS, 1999 (In Arabic)
- Types and Performance of Pumps and Compressors,UNESCO_Ellos,2012
- Air Conditioning Of Hospitals And Healthcare Facilities, Lap Lambert Publishing, 2012,ISBN 978-3-659-30776-8
- Air Distribution in Buildings, Taylor & Francis, CRC Press,2013, ISBN 978-1-466-59463-0
- Boiler Furnace Design, Lap Lambert Publishing,2013, ISBN 978-3-659-31710-1
- Energy Efficiency in the Urban Environment, with (Heba Khalil), Taylor & Francis, CRC Press, 2015, ISBN 1482250632, ISBN 978-1482250633