| 26 Jan 1944|
Government of India
| 19,137 (Gazetted Officers) & 53,754(Non Gazetted Officers)|
Governmental: Government agency
Federal law enforcement
The Central Board of Excise and Custom (Hindi:केंद्रीय उत्पाद एवं सीमा शुल्क बोर्ड) is the nodal national agency responsible for administering Customs, Central Excise, Service Tax & Narcotics in India. The Customs & Central Excise department was established in the year 1855 by the then British Governor General of India, to administer customs laws in India and collection of import duties / land revenue. It is one of the oldest government departments of India.
Currently the Customs and Excise department comes under the Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance. The agency is staffed by IRS officers who start their careers as Assistant Commissioners in the field and within 20–25 years rise to the post of Chief Commissioners, with a few senior most officers who become Members of CBEC / CESTAT / Settlement Commission.
The Central Board of Excise & Customs (CBEC) is headed by Chairperson CBEC and consist of six Members of CBEC.
- CBEC Chairperson - Mr. Najib Shah, IRS
- Member Budget - Mr. Ram Tirath, IRS
- Member Customs - Mr. B.K. Bansal, IRS
- Member Service Tax - Mr. K.K. Sharma, IRS
- Member Central Excise - Ms. Neerja Shah, IRS
- Member Personnel & Vigilance - Ms. Vanaja N. Sarna, IRS
- Member Legal & IT - Ms. Ananya Ray, IRS
Tax Payer Services
Directorate of Revenue Intelligence
Directorate General of Central Excise Intelligence
Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU-IND)
Directorate General of Inspection of Customs & Central Excise
National Academy of Customs, Excise and Narcotics
Central Economic Intelligence Bureau
Directorate General of Vigilance
Directorate General of Audit
Directorate General of Export Promotion
Customs, Excise and Service Tax Appellate Tribunal
Directorate General of Service Tax
Opium & Alkaloid Department
Economic Intelligence Council
Central Bureau of Narcotics
Central Board of Excise and Customs Wikipedia
CBEC looks after Excise, Service Tax and Customs.
- Collection of Excise Duty & Service Tax.
- Collection of Customs Duty on Land Customs Station, Inland Container Depots (ICD's), Special Economic Zones (SEZ's) & Container Freight Stations (CFS's).
- Prevention of Smuggling through Land Customs Station & Border Check Points.
- Collection of Customs Duty on International Airports, Seaports, Custom Houses, International Air Cargo Stations & International ICD's.
- Prevention of Smuggling on International Airports & Sea
- Collection of Narcotics Duty in Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh & Rajasthan.
- Prevention of drug trafficking and the abuse of illegal substances.
Ranks of the Customs & Central Excise Department
- Central Excise Act, 1944 (1 of 1989)
- The Central Excise Tariff Act, 1985 (5 of 1986)
- Customs Act, 1962
- Customs Tariff Act, 1975
- The Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940
- NDPS act, 1985
- Finance Act,1994 (service tax act)
1.A TV serial on Sony Channel was aired on every Thursday, named 'Powder', a production of Yashraj pictures. it was based on Customs Department & Narcotics Department. 2.Customs Diary is a 1993 Malayalam film by T. S. Suresh Babu starring Jayaram and Mukesh in the lead roles.