Population 22,007 (2001)
|State Tamil Nadu|
Time zone IST (UTC+5:30)
Local time Tuesday 12:42 AM
|Weather 26°C, Wind NE at 2 km/h, 57% Humidity|
Neighborhoods E.B.Colony, Gandhi Nagar, Voc Nagar
Batlagundu (pronounced 'Vathalakkundu'; Tamil: வத்தலக்குண்டு) is a panchayat town in Dindigul district in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. The town is about an hour and a half from Kodaikanal. "Vetrilai kundru" was the original name and it got changed to Vathalagundu.
Map of Batlagundu, Tamil Nadu 624202
The economy of the town is mostly dependent on agricultural products, and is home to a banana leaf commission, coconut powder exports, spinning mills, and other businesses. With its proximity to the foothills of the Kodaikanal mountain range, there are wholesale businesses that involve vegetables and fruits (carrots, apples, blue cabbage, tomato, and coffee) that grow in the mountains.
In the 2001 India census, Batlagundu(PIN: 624202) had a population of 22,007. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Batlagundu has an average literacy rate of 76%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 54% of the males and 46% of females literate. 9% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Now this town is having a number of institutions offering State Board and Matriculation syllabus and an ITI. Some notable schools are as follows: Boys Government Higher Secondary School, Mahalakshmi Girls Higher Secondary School, Jeyaseelan Matriculation School, etc., with First Step Public School providing CBSE education.
- Mariamman temple at Old Batlagundu is the main goddess in this region,and the festival being held in this temple at every year is famous in this region.
- Sri Lakshmi Narayana Perumal Temple - The temple is situated on the banks of the Manjalaru. The presiding deity is Sri Lakshmi Narayana Perumal.
- Sri Sendraya Perumal Temple - There is an ancient temple of Sri Sendraya Perumal situated on a hill near old Batlagundu. Lord Vishnu is worshiped in this temple as Sri Sendraya Perumal. Devotees seeking peace, prosperity and a healthy life come and worship at this temple.
- Arulmigu Kottai Karuppanasamy Temple is at Viralipatti village. This temple festival is celebrated annually during the Tamil month of Aadi.
- Arulmigu Sri Edamalai Mahalingam temple is situated near Kattakamanpatty village, three kilometers from Batlagundu on the way to Periyakulam.
- Kasi Viswanathar and Vishalakshi Temple which has an ancient Sri Yantra installed by Kulandaiananda swamigal
- Pathrakaliyamman Temple,
- Oorkala Samy temple,
- Bagavathi Amman temple,
- Om Sakthi Temple,
- Kamakshi temple at Devadanapatti
- Sri Mahalakshmi Temple at Alagapuri
- Anjaneyar temple near Anaipatti.
- Kunnuvarankottai Kasi Visalakshi-Viswanathar Temple is in Kunnuvarankottai, the birthplace of the saintSri Sacchidananda Bharati I, the 25th Pontiff of Sringeri Sarada Peetam.
- Gopalnatha swammy temple ,G.Thummalapatty
Santhana matha Church (St.ANNE'S CHURCH) is located in Bethania street.This Chapel is belongs to Roman Catholic Christians of Bethania street.This chapel is an ancient and re-constructed in 1990.Every Year, the month of July 25.26,St.Anne's feast will be celebrated.