| 17 November 1971|
Ooh La La
Warner Bros. Records
| March–September 1971 at Olympic Studios, London|
Rock music, Rock and roll, Blues rock, Hard rock, Boogie rock
Faces albums, Rock music albums
A Nod's As Good As a Wink... to a Blind Horse was the third album by British rock group Faces, and their second album of 1971. It was their most successful album, peaking at #6 in the US, and reaching #2 in the UK. It contains their biggest hit, the rollicking "Stay with Me" (#6 in the UK, #17 in the US), and the album itself would be certified gold by the RIAA in 1972.
The original issue of the album came with a poster consisting of a picture collage, including images of pills and pharmaceutical capsules, as well as photos apparently taken on tour of band and crew members reveling with naked groupies in hotel rooms. Within weeks of release, the record company had second thoughts and re-issued the album without the poster, making original copies with the poster into collectors' items.
On 28 August 2015, the album was reissued in a remastered and expanded form, with the bonus tracks being two songs from a previously unreleased BBC session. The new vinyl reissue even replicated the poster included with the first-pressing vinyl release.
All lead vocals by Rod Stewart except where noted
- "Miss Judy's Farm" (Rod Stewart, Ronnie Wood) – 3:42
- "You're So Rude" (Ronnie Lane, Ian McLagan) – 3:46 (lead singer: Ronnie Lane)
- "Love Lives Here" (Lane, Stewart, Wood) – 3:09
- "Last Orders Please" (Lane) – 2:38 (lead singer: Ronnie Lane)
- "Stay with Me" (Stewart, Wood) – 4:42
- "Debris" (Lane) – 4:39 (lead singer: Ronnie Lane)
- "Memphis, Tennessee" (incorrectly titled on original U.S. pressings of the album as simply "Memphis") (Chuck Berry) – 5:31
- "Too Bad" (Stewart, Wood) – 3:16
- "That's All You Need" (Stewart, Wood) – 5:05
2015 Reissue bonus tracks
Rod Stewart – lead vocals tracks 1,3,5 & 7-9, harmonica
Ronnie Lane – bass, acoustic guitar, percussion, lead vocals on tracks 2,4 & 6, backing vocals on "Too Bad"
Ronnie Wood – lead, slide, acoustic and pedal steel guitars, backing vocals on "Too Bad", harmonica
Ian McLagan – piano, organ, backing vocals on "Too Bad"
Kenney Jones – drums, percussion
Harry Fowler – steel drums on "That's All You Need"
Glyn Johns – co-producer, engineer
- "Miss Judy's Farm" [BBC Session] (Stewart, Wood)
- "Stay With Me" [BBC Session] (Stewart, Wood)
1Miss Judy's Farm3:40A Nod Is As Good As a Wink... to a Blind Horse Wikipedia
2You're So Rude3:44
3Love Lives Here3:06