|Released 18 May 1999|
Label Atlantic Records
|Recorded 21 July 1998|
Release date 18 May 1999
Genre Big band
|Producer Don Murray, Daryl Stuermer|
A Hot Night in Paris (1999) Tarzan An Original Walt Disney Records Soundtrack (1999)
Artists Phil Collins, The Phil Collins Big Band
Awards Porin Award for Best Foreign Jazz Music Album
Similar Phil Collins albums, Other albums
A Hot Night in Paris is the only album by The Phil Collins Big Band, released in 1999 by Atlantic Records. Fronted by Genesis lead singer Phil Collins, the album did not contain any singing. Instead, the album consisted of big band renditions of primarily Collins and Genesis songs, with Collins remaining at the drums.
The album did not chart on the Billboard 200, although it did reach #3 on the jazz album chart.
- "Sussudio" – 6:52 (Phil Collins)
- "That's All" – 5:34 (Banks/Collins/Rutherford)
- "Invisible Touch" – 5:42 (Banks/Collins/Rutherford)
- "Hold on My Heart" – 6:36 (Banks/Collins/Rutherford)
- "Chips & Salsa" – 5:23 (Gerald Albright)
- "I Don't Care Anymore" – 6:05 (Collins)
- "Milestones" – 6:34 (Miles Davis)
- "Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)" – 5:04 (Collins)
- "Pick Up the Pieces" – 12:41 (Roger Ball/Hamish Stuart/Average White Band)
- "The Los Endos Suite" – 10:25 (Banks/Collins/Hackett/Rutherford)
"It was 1966 when I first heard the Buddy Rich Swinging New Big Band. All the other things I was listening to at the time had to move over and make room for this wonderful noise I had discovered. I went searching for more and discovered Count Basie with Sonny Payne, Harold Jones and Jo Jones... then Duke Ellington and so many more. I decided that, one day, I'd have to have a go myself and form my own big band.
Thirty years later I did it. In 1996 I toured Europe with Quincy Jones conducting and Tony Bennett as our guest vocalist and my band. I was in Heaven.
Having dived in, I couldn't wait to do it again. In 1998 I took the band out again and toured the USA and Europe. We recorded some shows and the result is here to listen to. For me it's a labour of love. I'm back where I belong, behind the drums, playing music I'm proud of with some wonderful musicians. I hope it moves you as it does me. If it does, come and see us sometime."