Monarch – Gustav III
- Creation of the Walhalla-orden
- Treaty of Amity and Commerce (United States–Sweden)
June - Gustav III has plans to conquer the Danish province of Norway, and meet with Catherine the Great in Finland in an unsuccessful attempt to persuade her to end the Russian-Danish alliance.
- Norrköping jungfrustift is founded.
27 September - Gustav III begun his trip to Italy and France.
- Bacchi Tempel, by Carl Michael Bellman
- Giovanna Bassi is engaged at the Royal Swedish Opera in Stockholm.
12 January - Erik Gustaf Geijer, writer (died 1847)
3 September - Sophie Karsten, ballerina (died 1862)
22 October - Maria Johanna Görtz, artist (died 1853)
18 December - Johan Niclas Byström, sculptor (died 1848)
26 May – Anna Maria Hilfeling, miniaturist (born 1713)
date unknown - Maria Katarina Öhrn, opera singer and actress (born 1756)
1 November - Carl Linnaeus the Younger, naturalist (born 1741)
Helena Escholin, vicar's wife (born 1713)
Françoise-Éléonore Villain, actor (born 1761)
1783 in Sweden Wikipedia
Events from the year 1783 in Sweden