| April 8, 1998|
8 April 1998
| March 30, 1996
Bunkamura Orchard Hall, Tokyo|
Keith Jarrett albums, Jazz albums
Tokyo '96 is a live album by American pianist Keith Jarrett's "Standards Trio" featuring Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette recorded in concert in March, 1996 at the Bunkamura Orchard Hall in Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan and released on the ECM label in 1998. Filmed footage of the concert was originally released as Trio Concert 1996 (by Image Entertainment in VHS and DVD formats).
To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Standards Trio in 2008, ECM Records acquired rights to the filmed performance and released a double-DVD set called Live In Japan 93/96, which featured Trio Concert 1996 and another Trio film, Live at Open Theater East.
The Allmusic review by Richard S. Ginell awarded the album 4½ stars and states "the standards trio lives up to its formidable track record of consistency and then some. Jarrett and perennial cohorts Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette are, if anything, even sharper, swinging harder and more attuned to each other than ever".
Recorded in concert at the Bunkamura Orchard Hall in Tokyo, Japan on March 30, 1996.
Keith Jarrett – piano
Gary Peacock - bass
Jack DeJohnette - drums
Toshio Yamanaka - engineering
Kuni Shihuhara - photography
SEDIC, Tokyo - mixing
- "It Could Happen to You" (Johnny Burke, Jimmy Van Heusen) - 11:38
- "Never Let Me Go" (Ray Evans, Jay Livingston) - 7:02
- "Billie's Bounce" (Charlie Parker) - 8:07
- "Summer Night" (Al Dubin, Harry Warren) - 7:37
- "I'll Remember April" (Gene de Paul, Patricia Johnston, Don Raye) - 10:20
- "Mona Lisa" (Evans, Livingston) - 3:16
- "Autumn Leaves" (Joseph Kosma, Johnny Mercer, Jacques Prévert) - 7:58
- "Last Night When We Were Young/Caribbean Sky" (Harold Arlen, Yip Harburg/Keith Jarrett) - 9:55
- "John's Abbey" (Bud Powell) - 5:50
- "My Funny Valentine/Song" (Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers/Jarrett) - 7:16
1It Could Happen to You11:38Tokyo '96 Wikipedia
2Never Let Me Go7:03