| September 1964|
| July - August 1964|
| My Name Is Barbra
Grammy Award for Best Arrangement, Instruments And Vocals
Barbra Streisand albums, Vocal music albums, Other albums
People is the title of Barbra Streisand's fourth solo studio album which was released in September 1964. The title track was a newly recorded version of the hit song from the Broadway musical Funny Girl in which Streisand starred.
The album became the first of Streisand's albums to hit #1 on the Billboard album chart, spending five weeks in the top spot; it was also certified Platinum. It was re-released in the UK on the CBS Hallmark Series label in 1966 with different artwork.
The cover photo was taken on Oak Street beach in June 1963, when Barbra was in Chicago for an engagement at Mr. Kelly's nightclub.
Barbra won the Best Vocal Performance, Female Grammy award for this album, her 2nd in this category and her 5th overall.
Grammy awards were also won for Best Accompaniment/Arrangement for Vocalist or Instrumentalist (Peter Matz); and Best Album Cover (Robert Cato and Don Bronstein)
- "Absent Minded Me" (Bob Merrill, Jule Styne) – 3:07
- "When in Rome (I Do as the Romans Do)" (Cy Coleman, Carolyn Leigh) – 2:57
- "Fine and Dandy" (Kay Swift, Paul James) – 2:49
- "Supper Time" (Irving Berlin) – 2:47
- "Will He Like Me?" (Jerry Bock, Sheldon Harnick) – 2:34
- "How Does the Wine Taste?" (Matt Dubey, Harold Karr) – 2:36
- "I'm All Smiles" (Michael Leonard, Herbert Martin) – 2:09
- "Autumn" (Richard Maltby, Jr., David Shire) – 1:57
- "My Lord and Master" (Oscar Hammerstein II, Richard Rodgers) – 2:59
- "Love Is a Bore" (Sammy Cahn, Jimmy Van Heusen) – 2:08
- "Don't Like Goodbyes" (Harold Arlen, Truman Capote) – 3:14
- "People" (Merrill, Styne) – 3:40
CD Bonus track
- "I Am Woman" (Single Version) (Only issued on the European 2002 CD reissue)
Reissued 29 January 2002 with original album art restored and remastered from original mastertapes by Stephen Marcussen in 2001. CDs released outside of the US and Canada include the bonus track "I Am Woman", previously issued on the B-side of the single "People"."Fine And Dandy" was introduced in the musical "Fine And Dandy" (1930).
"Supper Time" was introduced in the musical "As Thousands Cheer" by Ethel Waters.
"My Lord And Master" was first introduced in the musical "The King and I".
"People" is from the musical "Funny Girl". This recording was produced by Mike Berniker and recorded on 20 December 1963 in New York.
"I'm All Smiles" was introduced in the musical The Yearling.
"People" / "I Am Woman"
"Absent Minded Me" / "Funny Girl"
1Absent Minded Me3:10People (Barbra Streisand album) Wikipedia
2When in Rome (Do as the Romans Do)3:00
3Fine and Dandy2:53