| April 12, 2011|
Heavy metal, Doom metal
| Curious Volume
12 March 2011
Metal Blade Records
| Curious Volume, Relentless, Sub‑Basement, Show 'Em How, Be Forewarned|
Last Rites is Virginia doom metal band Pentagram's seventh studio album. It is the first album since the band's third album, Be Forewarned, to feature guitarist Victor Griffin.
This album had been in the works for many years under the tentative title Last Rites of the Setting Sun. As indicated in the Last Days Here film, the original plan was to use remaining members Greg Mayne and Geof O'Keefe along with new musicians to round out the lineup for a release on Housecore Records, but things ultimately fell through. Frontman Bobby Liebling announced different songs on Myspace circa 2008 as the album progressed into fruition ("Everything's Turning to Night", "Horseman" and "Walk in the Blue Light" did make it to the album from the original intended track listing). The original lineup intended for this album was to be Leibling, Russ Strahan, Mark Ammen and Gary Isom but the lineup almost entirely changed as 2010 progressed before recording sessions could be arranged. Some original songs written and intended for the album that ultimately didn't make it included "South of the Swamp" and "I'm Takin' No More". Hank Williams III was also rumored to appear on the album at one point.
"Into the Ground" and "Nothing Left" actually originated from rehearsal tracks from the first Pentagram lineup (not Stonebunny as erroneously reported), played in a faster and groovier tempo. "Old Man" from those same sessions was originally intended for the album but ultimately not chosen.
Gary Isom was originally intended to be the drummer for this album but left the band shortly after their performance at Maryland Deathfest.
Bobby Liebling - lead vocals, backing vocals on track 7
Victor Griffin - guitar, lead vocals on track 7
Greg Turley - bass
Tim Tomaselli - drums
Maddox Turley - drums on track 12
- "Treat Me Right" (Bobby Liebling) - 2:32
- "Call the Man" (Liebling) - 3:49
- "Into the Ground" (Liebling, Victor Griffin) - 4:21
- "8" (Greg Turley, Liebling) - 5:01
- "Everything's Turning to Night" (Liebling, Geof O'Keefe) - 3:17
- "Windmills and Chimes" (Liebling) - 4:32
- "American Dream" (Turley, Griffin) - 4:32
- "Walk in the Blue Light" (Liebling) - 4:59
- "Horseman" (Liebling) - 3:38
- "Death in 1st Person" (Turley, Griffin) - 4:01
- "Nothing Left" (Liebling, Griffin) - 3:36
- "All Your Sins (Reprise)" (Liebling, Griffin) - 0:57
1Treat Me Right2:32Last Rites (album) Wikipedia
2Call the Man3:49
3Into the Ground4:21