25 July 2006
| Bruce Hornsby|
| Ricky Skaggs & Bruce Hornsby
Jazz, Rock music, Bluegrass, Jam band
Bruce Hornsby albums, Jazz albums
Bruce Hornsby's Intersections (1985–2005) is a 4 CD / 1 DVD retrospective boxed set. The tracks are a mixture of previously unreleased live recordings, unreleased studio recordings, and album cuts. The boxed set's title emphasizes the large number of musical collaborations Hornsby has embarked upon during his career, as evidenced by the list of collaborators below.
The discs are thematically broken into three categories: "Top 90 Time," "Solo Piano, Tribute Records, Country-Bluegrass, Movie Scores," and "By Request (Favorites and Best Songs)" (two CDs). A full third of the music is previously unreleased; many familiar tracks are presented as unreleased live versions rather than the original studio recordings, and the majority of the remaining tracks are from single b-sides, collaborations and/or tribute albums and movie soundtracks.
Some noteworthy collaborations include a piano-and-saxophone duet with Ornette Coleman and a performance with Roger Waters of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb." The set also offers a number of excellent examples of Hornsby's re-inventiveness with his own compositions, particularly in a live setting, for instance three different versions of “The Valley Road” are included—a live "bluesy funk" version with the Noise Makers, a Grammy-winning bluegrass version with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, and "a loose and sloppy but totally grooving boogie" take with the Grateful Dead. Critics have said that Hornsby's particular integrations of different musical genres, and his passion for reinventing his own compositions, create a kind of music many might "never hear" otherwise as it is "a kind of music no one else is making."
"Song H" was a new composition that was nominated for Best Pop Instrumental at the 2007 Grammy Awards.
All songs written by Bruce Hornsby, except where noted.
(*) denotes previously unreleased live version
(**) denotes previously unreleased track
- "The Way It Is" *
- "Mandolin Rain" (w/ J. Hornsby) *
- "The Valley Road" (w/ J. Hornsby) *
- "Jacob's Ladder" (w/ J. Hornsby) *
- "Nobody There But Me" (w/ Haden / J. Hornsby) *
- "The End of Innocence" (w/ Henley) *
- "Look out Any Window" (w/ J. Hornsby) *
- "Across the River" (w/ J. Hornsby) *
- "Lost Soul" *
- "Fields of Gray" > "That's Where It's At" (Campbell, Hooks, Tiven, Tiven) *
- "Walk in the Sun"
- "Gonna Be Some Changes Made" *
- "Song A"
- "Song B"
- "Song C"
- "Song D"
- "Variations on Swan Song & Song D"
- "Song F"
- "Song H" **
- "Barcelona Mona"
- "Backhand" (Jarrett)
- "Jack Straw" (Hunter, Weir)
- "Madman Across the Water" (Elton John, Bernie Taupin)
- "Darlin' Cory" (traditional)
- "The Valley Road" (w/ J. Hornsby) – bluegrass version
- "Crown of Jewels" *
- "Big Stick"
- "The Valley Road" (w/ J. Hornsby) – performed live with the Grateful Dead *
- "Hop / Skip and Jump" (Coleman) **
- "Love Me Still" (w/ Stevens) *
- "The Show Goes On" *
- "Barren Ground" (w/ J. Hornsby)
- "A Night on the Town" (w/ J. Hornsby) *
- "Talk of the Town" *
- "Rainbow's Cadillac"
- "Pastures of Plenty"
- "Spider Fingers" > "Tempus Fugit" (Powell) *
- "White Wheeled Limousine" > "Long Black Veil" (Dill / Wilkin) *
- "King of the Hill" > "Twelve Tone Tune" (Evans) > "Mystery Train" (Parker / Phillips) *
- "Resting Place"
- "Preacher in the Ring, Part I"
- "Preacher in the Ring, Part II"
- "Fortunate Son" > "Comfortably Numb" (Dave Gilmour, Roger Waters)" *
- "Sneaking Up on Boo Radley" *
- "Shadowhand" *
- "Sticks & Stones" *
- "The Chill"
- "The Good Life"
- "What the Hell Happened"
- "Hooray for Tom"
- "Candy Mountain Run" *
Big Chief Bo Dollis
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
The Noise Makers
John "J. T." Thomas
J. V. Collier
R. S. Hornsby
Theodore 'Bo' Dollis
Roy Huskey, Jr.
- "The Way It Is" music video
- "The Valley Road" music video
- "Look out Any Window" music video
- "Defenders of the Flag" music video
- "Across the River" music video
- "Talk of the Town" music video
- "Fields of Gray" music video
- "Walk in the Sun" music video
- "Swing Street" music video
- "Go Back to Your Woods w/Robbie Robertson
- "Barcelona Mona" w/Branford Marsalis
- "Love Me Still" w/Chaka Khan
- "The Valley Road" w/Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
- "The Mighty Quinn" (Bob Dylan) w/B. B. King & Lou Reed
- "They Love Each Other" (Garcia, Hunter) (as Grateful Dead)
- "Comfortably Numb" (Gilmour, Waters) w/Roger Waters
- "Imagine" (John Lennon)
- "Another Day"
- "The Tide Will Rise" w/Pat Metheny & Bonnie Raitt
- "Talk of the Town" w/Gregory Hines
- "Star-Spangled Banner (Key)" w/Branford Marsalis
- "Gonna Be Some Changes Made"
- "Candy Mountain Run"
The Way It Is8:36Intersections (1985–2005) Wikipedia
The Valley Road (Live)5:07