| Francis Josias|
| Ernest Duke|
House of Wettin
| 16 September 1764 –
8 September 1800|
8 March 1724
Saalfeld, Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, Holy Roman Empire (1724-03-08)
Prince Karl Wilhelm
Prince Ludwig Karl
Prince Ferdinand August
Francis Josias, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld
Anna Sophie of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt
Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld
September 8, 1800, Coburg, Germany
Princess Sophie Antoinette of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel (m. 1749)
Francis, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld
Princess Anna Sophie of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt, Francis Josias, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld
Countess Augusta Reuss of, Prince Josias of Saxe‑Coburg‑Saalfeld, Princess Victoria of Saxe‑Coburg‑Saalfeld, Leopold I of Belgium
Ernest Frederick, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld Wikipedia
Ernest Frederick, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (8 March 1724 in Saalfeld – 8 September 1800 in Coburg), was a Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld.
He was the eldest son of Francis Josias, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld and Anna Sophie of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt.
Ernest Frederick succeeded his father in the Duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld when he died in 1764 and established his definitive residence shifted in Coburg. Because of the high indebtedness of the duchy he was compelled by Emperor Joseph II in 1773 to work with a Debit commission—an obligatory administration of debts assigned by the emperor—for over thirty years.
In Wolfenbüttel on 23 April 1749 Ernest Frederick married with Sophia Antonia of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel. They had seven children:
- Franz Frederick Anton, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (b. Coburg 15 July 1750 – d. Coburg, 9 December 1806), father of Leopold I of Belgium and grandfather of Leopold II, Empress Carlota of Mexico, Queen Victoria of Great Britain, and her husband Prince Albert.
- Karl Wilhelm Ferdinand (b. Coburg, 21 November 1751 – d. Coburg, 16 February 1757).
- Fredericka Juliane (b. Coburg, 14 September 1752 – d. Coburg, 24 September 1752).
- Caroline Ulrike Amalie (b. Coburg, 19 October 1753 – d. Coburg, 1 October 1829), a nun at Gandersheim.
- Ludwig Karl Frederick (b. Coburg, 2 January 1755 – d. Coburg, 4 May 1806); he had an illegitimate son by some Mademoiselle Brutel de la Riviére: Ludwig Frederick Emil of Coburg (b. Hildburghausen, 1779 - d. Coburg, 1827). In turn, the five children of Ludwig Frederick were created Freiherren von Coburg. His descendants still alive.
- Ferdinand August Heinrich (b. Coburg, 12 April 1756 – d. Coburg, 8 July 1758).
- Frederick (b. Coburg, 4 March 1758 – d. Coburg, 26 June 1758).