|Released April 1996|
Active until 1996
Albums Daphne's Flight
Active from 1995
Record label Fledg'ling Records
|Recorded 14-25 Jan 1996; The Big Room, Kirk Michael, the Isle of Man|
Similar Melanie Harrold, Julie Matthews, Helen Watson, Chris While, Christine Collister
Daphne s flight ain t no sunshine
Daphne’s Flight was an album that resulted from a collaboration between five of the most highly regarded female vocalists, instrumentalist and songwriters in the British folk and root music scene: Christine Collister, Melanie Harrold, Julie Matthews, Helen Watson and Chris While. The collaboration resulted in a highly regarded album and a sell out tour. The project helped to cement relationships between the members, raised their individual profiles nationally and internationally and has been seen as marking a turning point in the role of women within the English folk movement.
- Daphne s flight ain t no sunshine
- Don t feed the robot daphne s flight lyrics video
- Members and Contributions
- Track listing
Don t feed the robot daphne s flight lyrics video
The group made their début at the 1995 Cambridge Folk Festival, where they were one of the hits of the event. This was followed by a major concert at London's prestigious Union Chapel in December. In January 1996 they recorded their eponymous album in ten days, fitted between busy schedules, in The Big Room, Kirk Michael, the Isle of Man. The studio had to be completed by builders working though the night. The album is marked by some the member's best writing and some highly successful covers, all tracks are notable for the rich harmonies between the singers.
The result was very positively reviewed in the folk and roots music press and gained considerable mainstream press and media attention. The group followed the release with a popular major 18-date tour of England through May and June 1996.
The project proved a one off for the time being as the members pursued their own careers, but they have appeared on and contributed to each other’s albums and live appearances. Partial reunions have occurred for specific gigs, and in 2003 at the Prebendal Festival they reassembled for a reunion.
Members and Contributions
- "Over and Over" (lead vocal: Melanie Harrold)
- "Ain't No Sunshine" (lead vocal: Christine Collister)
- "Another Year Another Day" (lead vocal: Chris While)
- "The Calling" (lead vocal: Julie Matthews)
- "Gone" (lead vocal: Helen Watson)
- "The Letter" (lead vocal: Melanie Harrold)
- "Father Adieu" (All)
- "Guilty" (lead vocal: Christine Collister)
- "Shake Out Your Silver" (lead vocal: Helen Watson)
- "Circle Round The Sun" (lead vocal: Chris While)
- "Rise Above The Tide Of Life" (lead vocal: Julie Matthews)
Ain't No SunshineDaphne's Flight · 1996
Father AdieuDaphne's Flight · 1996
Another Year Another DayDaphne's Flight · 1996