| Early February 1963|
The Jazz Messengers
Jazz, Hard bop
| October 23-24, 1962
Plaza Sound Studios, New York City|
The Jazz Messengers albums, Hard bop albums, Other albums
Caravan is a jazz album released by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers in February 1963. It was Blakey's first album for Riverside Records after he signed with them in October 1962. The songs were recorded at the Plaza Sound Studio in New York City, on October 23-24, 1962 The producer was Orrin Keepnews who also supervised the album's remastered re-release on CD.
In 2007, the BBC described it as "a slick, fluid, professional set of hard bop at its finest".
Caravan (Art Blakey album) Wikipedia
The remastered CD re-issue features two alternate takes, each preceding its master take.
- "Caravan" (Juan Tizol) - 9:47
- "Sweet 'n' Sour" (Shorter) - 5:31
- "In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning" (Mann, Hilliard) - 4:06
- "This Is for Albert" (Shorter) - 8:21
- "Skylark" (Carmichael, Mercer) - 4:51
- "Thermo" (Hubbard) - 6:48
Art Blakey - drums
Wayne Shorter - tenor saxophone
Freddie Hubbard - trumpet
Curtis Fuller - trombone
Cedar Walton - piano
Reggie Workman - bass
- "Thermo (Take 2)" (Hubbard) - 7:26
- "Sweet 'n' Sour (Take 4)" (Shorter) - 5:27