| January 13, 2009|
13 January 2009
| Only One in the World
Grammy Award for Best Contemporary R&B Gospel Album
Smokie Norful Live, Purified, Freedom, WOW Gospel 2009, Everything That Happens
Audience of One is the third studio album by Trinidadian-American singer-songwriter Heather Headley, released on January 13, 2009 by EMI Gospel. It is a collection of cover versions of popular gospel hymns as well as original songs.
The album debuted at number 27 on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart in January 2009. It also reached number one on Billboard's Top Gospel Albums and at number six on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart. Upon its release, Audience of One received generally positive reviews from most music critics. The Boston Globe writer Ken Capobianco perceived it as an improvement from Headley's previous work and praised her singing, calling her vocal performances "commanding" and her voice "the purest and boldest voice in pop". The Washington Post's Sarah Godfrey wrote favorably of Headley's performance on the album and stated "'Audience of One' lifts its voice to the heavens". However, Metro Spirit writer Frazia Lee viewed it as "redundant with slow-paced songs", but commended Headley for her intent with gospel themes. Giving it 3 out of 4 stars, Elysa Gardner of USA Today commended Headley for her vocals and wrote that the album's pop-oriented songs are "saved by Headley's discipline and grace, which not only pleases the ear but also reinforces the sense of humility so central to these songs".
In 2010, the album was nominated for a Dove Award for Contemporary Gospel Album of the Year at the 41st GMA Dove Awards. The album won a Grammy for Best Contemporary R&B Gospel Album in 2010.
- "Simply Redeemed" (Tommy Sims, Marc Harris) – 5:07
- "Ordinary Me" (Heather Headley, Will Champlin, Jonathan Crone, Liz Rose) – 4:29
- "I Wish" (Heather Headley, Iric Headley, Jr., Keith Thomas) – 4:00
- "Jesus Is Love" (featuring Smokie Norful) (Lionel Richie) – 5:41
- "I Need Thee Every Hour/Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus/I'd Rather Have Jesus" (Annie S. Hawks, Robert Lowry, Louisa M. R. Stead, William J. Kirkpatrick, Rhea F. Miller, George Beverly Shea) – 4:51
- "Running Back to You" (Fred Hammond) – 5:31
- "I Know the Lord Will Make a Way" (public domain) – 4:46
- "Here I Am to Worship" (Tim Hughes) – 4:43
- "The Power of the Cross" (Keith Getty, Stuart Townend) – 6:30
- "Zion" (Heather Headley, Thomas) – 3:38
Credits for Audience of One adapted from Allmusic.
1Simply Redeemed5:08Audience of One (album) Wikipedia