List of museums of Asian art Wikipedia
This is a list of museums with major collections of Asian art.
- Palace Museum*, Beijing, China
- National Museum of China*, Beijing, China
- National Palace Museum*, Taipei, Taiwan
- National Museum of Korea, Seoul, South Korea
- Victoria & Albert Museum, London, UK
- Shanghai Museum*, China
- National Museum, Japan
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, USA
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, USA
- American Museum of Natural History, New York, USA
- British Museum, London, UK
- Musée du quai Branly, Paris, France.
- Musée Guimet, Paris, France
- Field Museum, Chicago, USA
- Honolulu Museum of Art, Honolulu, USA
- Art Institute of Chicago, USA
- Freer Gallery of Art / Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Washington, D.C., USA
- Museum für Asiatische Kunst, Berlin, Germany
- Brooklyn Museum, New York, USA
- Asian Art Museum, San Francisco, USA
- Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, MA, USA
- Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, USA
* These museums specialise in only Chinese items; the collections are not comprehensive for all Asia.
Several famous and distinguished collections, including the Cleveland Museum of Art, Field Museum (Chicago), Royal Ontario Museum, Museum of Archaeology at the University of Pennsylvania, Los Angeles County Museum, Minneapolis Institute of Art, and the Seattle Asian Art Museum do not provide adequate numerical information for their significant collections. This list, therefore, is only provisional.
Some collecting institutions combine their ethnographic, cultural, and artistic materials together in their total holdings. Such is the case of the British Museum, for example. It would be nearly impossible to distinguish between these types of objects (e.g. "fine arts") in developing a quantitative, as opposed to qualitative, ranking of this kind.