Monarch – Oscar I
- The Guildsystem is abolished.
- Trade- and crafts works professions are opened to all unmarried women.
- Adolf Eugene von Rosen and Georg Theodor Policron von Chiewitz proposes a regulation of Gamla stan.
- Swedish History Museum is founded.
- Gothenburg becomes the first Swedish city to be lit up by Coal gas.
- Den broderade plånboken by August Blanche
- Dubbelgångaren av Fjodor Dostojevskij
- Engelbrekt och hans dalkarlar by August Blanche
- Läkaren by August Blanche
- Magister Bläckstadius eller giftermåls-annonsen by August Blanche
- Rika morbror by August Blanche
- Syskonbarnen eller Hofgunst och Folkgunst by Karl Kullberg
- Torparen och hans omgifning by Sophie von Knorring
26 February – Amanda Forsberg, ballerina
16 March – Gösta Mittag-Leffler, mathematician (died 1927)
28 April – Johan Oskar Backlund, astronomer (died 1916)
5 May – Lars Magnus Ericsson, inventor, entrepreneur and founder of telephone equipment manufacturer Ericsson (incorporated as Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson (died 1926)
22 December – Andreas Hallén, composer, conductor and music teacher (died 1925)
28 January - Sara Wacklin, writer and educator (born 1790)
8 April - Augusta von Fersen, courtier (born 1754)
2 November – Esaias Tegnér, poet (born 1782)
18 December – Emilie Högqvist, actress and royal mistress (born 1812)
1846 in Sweden Wikipedia
Events from the year 1846 in Sweden