Monarch – Frederick I
- The Kosta Glasbruk is founded.
June - The Swedish province of Finland is occupied of the Empire of Russia during the Lesser Wrath.
9 August - The Swedish forces in Finland surrender to the Russian army in Helsingfors.
- Empress Elizabeth I of Russia states that Sweden may have Finland back if her candidate in the election for an heir to the Swedish throne, Adolf Frederik of Holstein-Gottorp, is accepted.
- Proclamation of the Kingdom of Finland (1742)
- The Hats (party) lose government power and are replaced by a government supported by the Caps (party).
- Anders Celsius construct the Celsius thermometer.
- Adelriks och Giöthildas äfwentyr by Jacob Henrik Mörk.
28 July - Rutger Macklean, driving figure in the reorganization of agricultural lands (died 1816)
3 October - Anders Jahan Retzius, scientist (died 1821)
- Christina Krook, educator (died 1806)
9 December – Carl Wilhelm Scheele, chemist (died 1786)
17 April – Arvid Horn, politician (died 1664)
- Lars Roberg, physician (died 1664)
June 21 - Johannes Steuchius, arch bishop (died 1676)
1742 in Sweden Wikipedia
Events from the year 1742 in Sweden